As a Scientific Workflows Coordinator for the €15m EC-funded VPH-Share project and Work Package Leader for €18m EC-funded VPH-DARE@IT, my day-to-day work involves coordinating collaborative development of software, services, workflows and institutional processes to help translate scientific research into patient-specific treatment plans.
I'm intimately involved with the software architecture, development and deployment of all technical and scientific projects, including deploying large-scale sensitivity and uncertainty analysis tools on hpc and cloud compute farms. I also help coordinate scientific and technical delivery of 25+ projects associated a various levels of maturity and healthcare domains.
Previously, for the VPH-NoE project, I was involved in the evaluation, design and deployment of federated data storage and workflow technologies for the VPH.
My doctoral work at the Kroto Research Institute, Sheffield, involved building large agent-based models of cardiac cells and tissues, where I also helped and contributed to the development two open-source projects, Flame & Chaste.
Research-As-A-Service, multi-scale modelling, scientific software architecture and development. High-performance computing, verification and validation of scientific software. Computable papers, Scientific Workflow Engines, research provenance, code sharing and Reproducibility. Scientific Web Services, distributed file systems, virtualisation, service orchestration and data center automation.
· P Morris, J F A Feher, D A S Soto, D Rafiroiu, A Lungu, S Varma, P Lawford, R Hose, J Gunn, Fast Virtual Fractional Flow Reserve Based Upon Steady-State Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) Analysis: Results from the ’VIRTU-fast’ study, JACC: Cardiovascular Interventions, 2015 (in review)
· S Varma, VPH-Share Development Team, R Hose, VPH-Share: A Scalable Architecture for Scientific Cloud Computing, Interface Focus Special Issue, 2015 (in review)
· D Warriner, A G Brown, S Varma, P Sheridan, P Lawford, R Hose, A Al-mohammad, Y Shi: Closing the Loop: modelling of heart failure progression from health to end-stage using a meta-analysis of left ventricular pressure-volume loops, PLOS-One, 2014. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0114153
· Workflows: Principles, Tools and Clinical Applications, Book Chapter, Computational Biomedicine, Oxford University Press, 2014
· S Varma, VPH-Share Development Team, VPH-Share: A Scalable Architecture for Scientific Cloud Computing, VPH 2014
· S Varma, M C Villa-Uriol, E Manchini, E Schileo, P Lamata, N Smith, R Hose, VPH-Share: Patient-Centred Multi-scale Cloud-Enabled Computational Workflows, VPH-2014
· J Feher, S Varma, M Sciola, P Morris, R Hose, Characterising Uncertainty of VPH-related Multiscale Models, VPH 2014
· M Bubak, M Kasztelnik, M Malawski, J Meizner, P Nowakowski, S Varma: Evaluation of Cloud Providers for VPH Applications CCGRID 2013: 200-201 doi:10.1109/CCGrid.2013.54
· S Varma, D Kalra, M C Villa-Uriol, P Lamata, B O’Nuallian, E Schileo, N Smith, R Hose VPH-Share: Embodying a Patient Avatar for Computational Workflows VPH-2012
· R H Clayton, C P Bradley, M P Nash, S Varma, A Mourad, D J Paterson, M Hayward, P Taggart, Epicardial mapping of ventricular fibrillation in the human heart during ischaemia and reperfusion. Computers in Cardiology 2008, pp.1029,1032
· I M M van Leeuwen, G R Mirams, A Walter, A Fletcher, P Murray, J Osborne, S Varma, S J Young, J Cooper, J Pitt-Francis, L Momtahan, P Pathmanathan, J P Whiteley, S J Chapman, D J Gavaghan, O E Jensen, J R King, P K Maini, S L Waters, H M Byrne. An integrative computational model for intestinal tissue renewal Cell Prolif. 42:617-636, 2009. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2184.2009.00627.x.
· S Varma, M Holcombe, 2005 Extreme Programming: The Genesys Experience XP 2005
· S Varma, M Holcombe, 2005 Shared Code Repository: A Narrative XP 2005